Saturday 20 April 2013

Film Titles for my Thriller Opening


Film Titles for my Thriller Opening

Naturally, throughout my research period I have watched several AS film, using them as points of reference in regards to how to make a successful amateur product.One thing that stood out from my viewing is that there were very few direct links between the titles of these thrillers and the content thriller itself. As I've previously said, I have planned for my piece to appear as if it has been extracted from the opening of a thriller film, setting it up in a manner which would allow the plot to continue as the movie progresses. The basic plot of the film is a detective chasing after a serial killer who he has failed to catch after numerous murders - this will be made apparent through the dialogue - , however what begins to be suggested towards the end of my opening is that the detective and killer are in fact the same person. I am using this concept as I believe it will make the audience feel uncomfortable with the opening and unsure on what is going to happen next, creating enigma.

When brainstorming names for the film, as a group, we liked the idea of giving the serial killer a celebrity persona. Names such as “Ziggy Bloodlust” and “Buffalo Soldier” were suggested for the killer’s identity and also the opening. The use of references to the 1980s music scene carries illocutions that the killer sees himself as a rock star,  whilst also connoting the sheer scale of violence which will entail throughout the film. Furthermore, it keeps in line with the setting of the film being in the time period of the 80s.

Although strong, I do not feel that such a name would make a good movie title. One name that we kept coming back to was “Duality”. I feel that “Duality” would work perfectly with the thriller opening as it contrasts two binary opposites, such as good and evil, chaos and order, both of this being represented in my opening, and through the same person. I feel the name suggests a clear divide between two characters in the opening however does not give away that the main character is both the protagonist and the antagonist of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment