Monday 22 April 2013

Shooting Scene One and Two


Shooting Scene One and Two

Instead of re-scripting for the new shot list I have compiled I thought it would be more effective to create a storyboard for the opening scene to ensure that I we collect all of the required shots so that we can quickly enter the final editing stage of the project. However, because everyone now involved with scene two is familiar with the plot and there is no alterations in the dialogue, I saw no need to create a storyboard for this as I strongly believe the script will be enough to ensure I get the shots I desire.







Casting Changes:

Detective 1 - Jake Kardasz
Detective 1 is now portrayed by Jake Kardasz. As Jake is a member of my group, I strongly believe he successfully represented the frustration of the police around Hudson through Detective 1 and even improvised on the script, allowing Hudson to push past him on his way out to show the aggressive side of the protagonist. The only difference in costume is Detective 1 will now be wearing a white shirt featuring blue stripes whereas before he was portrayed by Jack Stiff in a white shirt. Jake also already knew all of Detective 1's lines therefore I did not have to waste time allowing next actors to learn their lines and get into character.

Press - Joseph Radnedge and Myself
The press are now portrayed by Joseph Radnedge and myself. I myself have experience in acting and having performed in many theatrical productions such as “Cats” and “Oliver”. As a result of my experienceI feel comfortable being promoted from a role as an extra to a member of the press having to react, using facial expressions in close up shots, to show both frustration and intimidation with and by Hudson as scene two draws to a close. I have also decided to cast Joe as the other member of the press who asks the first question. I have done this as he was the brainchild of the script and I therefore believe that he will successfully deliver the press member's one line to Hudson to intensify his already hostile mood. After watching Joe Donadel and Ellen Titchmarsh's performances as the press members in scene two, I feel that they did not express their frustration with the detective, not to mention in the over shoulder shot from Ellen she kept moving back and forward making the shot uncomfortable and look somewhat unprofessional.

Seeing as the learning support room was much smaller than my previous PE room, I have decided to cut the two detective extras sitting at the back of the scene as I am only going to be using half of the small room to make the audience feel like they cannot escape the crime scene and a sense of claustrophobia. However I plan to keep the flash from the start of the original scene two which may suggest to the audience that there is another detective in the room as it will be used to mimic a camera flash.

Mise en Scene and Propositions
The mise en scene and propositions that I have used in the re-shoot of scene two and the shooting of scene one are mostly the same as they were in the original scene two. However there are a few minor changes. One change that I have been forced to make was the fact that there is no longer a television in the room as I was unable to retrieve the one I had used from the science block of the school I had used previously. The television has been replaced with a radio which now sits upon the table where the television sat in the original scene two. This is not a huge change as it is only a small part of the room and will make the hotel seem even grottier and cheap as it cannot even afford to place televisions in their rooms. I have also included a red rug on the floor of the room which will carry connotations of danger as well as sexuality and lust, due to the colour red. This rug will also mask the fact that no theatrical blood was used today as even if I did use some, it would match the colour of the rugs.


A number of items from the original scene two are still being used such as the sofa, table, kettle and the clock. Unfortunately, I was unable to use both the typewriter and lava lamp which is disappointing as we no longer have the clear postmodernist references to thriller classics such as The Shining as I stated in my postmodernism post. However because I am no longer using any police extras there seemed no need for it anymore even if there was somewhere to place the proposition. I also had to find a way of masking the room's posters to make the room strike one as a hotel room, luckily the majority of this room's posters were not stapled on therefore they were simply taken down and those which did require disguising, I covered with a black cloth to resemble a dark wall. The room also featured two extra chairs, one of which held a red jacket which closely resembles Michael Jackson's jacket in the Thriller video, referencing more iconic 1980's popular culture, as well as the other chair utilising leopard print cloth, further resemblant of 1980's fashion.


Shot List for Scene One
  1. Two split shot: mid shot from behind the killer following him through the two corridors and a close up of the killer's feet to the first door.
  2. Close up of the woman looking frightened.
  3. Mid shot of the killer reaching for the knife.
  4. Close up of the killer stroking the knife.
  5. Over shoulder shot from the killer of the woman getting up.
  6. Mid shot of the killer pulling back the knife, camera panning into killer's back during throw, panning back to show woman stabbed, falling.
  7. Extreme close up of the woman screaming.
  8. High angle close up of the woman falling.
  9. Close up of the killer's feet by body, then wipes the knife clean with red rug.
  10. Extreme close up of the woman's last breath as she is stabbed again.

Shot List for Scene Two
  1. Close up of the woman, tracking up her body as Hudson leans down, tracks up to Hudson's face looking at the corpse.
  2. Over shoulder of Detective 1 walking into the scene as Hudson rises from the body.
  3. Low angle, from the body, of the two detectives dialogue, dialogue ends with Hudson pushing past the other detective.
  4. Tracking shot across the coffee table showing dead body with mugs and pots obscuring the audience's vision - to create ellipses.
  5. Mid - close up shot of Hudson leaving the crime scene until doorway where he meets members of the press.
  6. Over shoulder shot from Hudson of the dialogue between him and the press.
  7. Close up shot of Hudson of the dialogue between him and the press.
  8. Close up shot of Press Member 1 of the dialogue between him and Hudson.
  9. Close up shot of Press Member 2 of the dialogue between him and Hudson as well as Hudson's attack of Press Member 2.
Overall I am very pleased with shots I have gathered from today's filming which will be the last day in the production stage as I feel I am now ready to focus all of my attention on the editing stage of the process which will be continued from what I already have of scene three in the next few days.



No comments:

Post a Comment