Saturday 20 April 2013

How I intend to Use Post Modernism in My Thriller Opening


How I intend to Use Post Modernism in My Thriller Opening

As stated within my detailed analysis of post-modernism, the said genre was a reaction to the submergence of cinema into modernism and realism. It developed as a result of films being too realistic. Rather than trying to subvert the codes and conventions of different film genre, it celebrates them instead. Post-modernism, as well as referencing back to previous films, uses the codes and conventions of its genre in a way that makes it clear to the audience that they are watching a film. Instead of drawing the viewer into a world it is falsifying as being real, a post-modernist film will accept to the viewer that it is a film, therefore allowing it to use the codes and conventions in an abusive manner or even in a manner of pastiche so as to ensure the audience are left satisfied and also entertained. The genre of post-modernism itself has been defined by one of my main influences Quentin Tarantino. I feel that by echoing the works of Tarantino, utilizing the codes and conventions of thriller in a method of overtness, I can make my thriller stand out and also entertain the viewer, as well as thrill them. This will entice the members of my audience who are more film-literate, as they will understand how I am obviously using the codes and conventions in a post-modernist way.

One of the ways in which I will use post-modernism is through reference to other films. During the second scene of my opening I plan to have a background extra, posing as a detective, working on a typewriter - a reference to the The Shining. The room number in my thriller will also be a reference to this film, as 357 is the room the killer stays in in The Shining, and room 358 is the room where my female fatality is murdered. I also plan to reference American Psycho through the use of costume regarding my antagonist. Patrick Bateman is the high-status yet murderous psycho in American Psycho, and my killer is dressed in a similar style, with a sharp suit and slicked back hair, to connote the same rock and roll view of himself and also that he is not just some lowlife killer, but someone who takes pride in his actions, considering himself to be one of the norm. One final technique I also plan to use is not one tied to post modernism, but most recently to Tarantino. Tarantino usually chooses to follow the opening of his films with the titles over which he lays a popular music track from the era of the movie. This is then preceded by the movie title itself. I plan to use this at the end of my opening. The title will not be the credits for the opening - the titles come after the opening, and would then lead into the film, similarly to Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs.

Lastly, post-modernism is sometimes used to make the film more light-hearted or humorous for the audience, being a pastiche of the genre. Whilst I plan to use the codes and conventions of the thriller genre so as to gratify my audience whom, I anticipate, will understand the conventions of thriller, my thriller will still be serious in tone and also dark. In spite of the post modernist techniques I will employ, it is not designed to cause gaiety. It is designed to thrill.


No comments:

Post a Comment